|The original three story stone
structure was built from stone on the Charles Willingham farm on the south
side of the Colorado River. At a cost of $29,015 the construction process
stated on October 1, 1888 and was completed in October 1889.
The three story structure served
county needs from 1889 to 1941. With the need of new space a renovation
was ordered and a two story wing was added to each side of the courthouse.
The interior was completely renovated and a elevator installed. Using
stone from the same quarry used in 1888 the 1941 renovations and additions
The Runnels County courthouse
square is one of the largest in the state of Texas. and plays host
to the state wide famous Ethnic Festival every year.